Thursday, June 08, 2006

Question

Hey Folks!

Thanks to Jasun for posting all the notes. They're great. I hope you all enjoyed the workshop too - I was really jealous.

So here's the question. I haven't done much research on this, so I don't know if it's impossible or totally trivial.

A theorem of Ahlfors and Beurling* states that every quasisymmetric map of the circle extends to a quasisymmetric map of the disk. That is, every quasicircle is the boundary of a quasidisk. Now, every bi-Lipschitz map is quasistymmetric, so every bi-Lipschitz image of the circle is the boundary of a quasidisk. But, does every bi-Lipschitz map of the circle extend to a bi-Lipschitz map of the disk?

The obvious thing to try would be to see if the Ahlfors-Beurling** extension for quasisymmetric maps produces a bi-Lipschitz map from bi-Lipschitz boundary data. However, I don't really remember how the Ahlfors-Beurling*** extension works, and since I'm on the road, I can't really look it up (a technical version is in Lehto's book, but Mario explained to me once the "right" way of thinking about it - damn my crappy memory!) Anyway, any insights would be appreciated.

Another way to think about this would be to use some Lipschitz extension theorems. However, the McShane extension wouldn't work because there is no way in that construction to ensure that the extension of a bi-lip homeo is a bi-lip homeo. (one only gets Lipschitz, not bi-Lipschitz, which is a result of the fact that one must apply the extension to the coordinate functions individualy). Maybe Kirzbaum is better? (again, I'm on the road so I can't look up the proof of kirzbaums theorem).

Ok, thanks!

*Thanks to Anonymus for correcting this reference.
**Ditto
***Ditto Ditto

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahlfors and Beurling (not Bers) treated quasisymmetric maps of circle T onto itself. In this case the bi-Lipschitz version is trivial -- if f:T->T is bi-Lipschitz, then its 1-homogeneous extension is bi-Lipschitz too (i.e. set F(z)=|z|f(z/|z|) for complex z).

However, you probably wanted to extend a general bi-Lipschitz map f:T->C. Let Omega be the domain bounded by f(T). Let Phi be the conformal map of the disk D onto Omega. Since f(T) is a quasicircle (it is even a chord-arc curve), Phi extends to a quasisymmetric map of T onto f(T). Define g:T->T by g(z)=Phi^{-1}(f(z)). Now g is a quasisymmetric map of T onto itself, so it has a quasiconformal extension G:D->D. It remains to prove that Phi(G(z)) is bi-Lipschitz, as it obviously agrees with f on T.

For this last part it is important that G is not just any quasiconformal extension. Roughly speaking, the derivative of G at any point z in D must be comparable to the stretch factor (under g) of the circular arc of length 1-|z| centered at z/|z|. To put it another way, G must be bi-Lipschitz in the hyperbolic metric of the disk. Fortunately, any reasonable extension (Ahlfors-Beurling, Douady-Earle, or piecewise linear) has this property. For details see either "Extension of quasisymmetric and Lipschitz embeddings..." by Tukia or "Hardy spaces, A_infinity, and singular integrals..." by Jerison and Kenig.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Wow! Thanks for your comments, Anonymus. If you are the same anonymus that has posted on my or Janus' blogs before, you know that I am terrible with names (remember how many times it took me to correctly spell Cannon?). I'll correct my question to correctly credit Beurling (I guess I've said "Ahlfors-Bers" so many times that it's become a habit...)

Anyway, it looks like you spent a while writing that, and I really appreciate your help. What you write makes sense to me- though I did have to go back and think about why the uniformizing map Phi from the inside of f(T) to the disk extends to a homeo of the boundaries...

Thanks again!

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GAMMABLIXT


SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE

There's much in the world that you can't explain.
It's revealed for you to remember
by the whispering voice of a distant train
or a midnight rain in november.

Horizon within! You can always find
the keys to Enigma. Let's mention
one basic Truth: of spirited Mind
is Nature naught but extension.

Internal expanses! In dreams, ridden
by fear and longing you roam
that deep Southeast in your soul hidden
...on your random journey back home.

---

As a native Swede, I am particularly proud of my love poetry suite Sonnets for Katie.

My Poems

*

La présence; un coup de vie morte? non, ce n'est qu'être. Et puis pour l'errante fenêtre: étant vue la nuit, dans tous le coins des rues de la veille la même étoile.

*

Poétudes

*

Schwarzez birne!
Aufforderung zur Erotik.

Fremde Gedichte

*

En el archipielágo del mundo
los recursos son concentrados,

algunos barcos azulos
partieron para la isla más azula.

Uno grito bajo la mesa
vuelca uno cantaro;

visitantes paran
en preguntas silenciosas –

el anacrusa de una tromba
remolinea en la biblioteca.

My Spanish Poetry

*

My Laptop Wallpaper Art



And: reciprocity: for mutual benefit, you will do me a favor promoting your own blog on mine!

The best way to do it is lining up as a Follower, since then your icon will advertise you indefinitely, and I will follow you in return. Let's forge a mighty alliance of synergy and common interest.

Yours,

- Peter Ingestad, Sweden

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home